Cancer Advocacy Activities
- Lobby and testify regularly with legislators in partnership with the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) which has resulted locally in increased funding for the breast and cervical cancer program, sustaining funding of tobacco control programs, and increasing the tax on all tobacco products.
- Lobby and testify regularly with the US Congress and staff to garner support for quality of life issues, cancer research, prevention, and early detection programs.
- Write letters of support to newspaper editors and lawmakers and collect petitions on quality of life issues.
- Became an award-winning State Lead Ambassador to ACS CAN and represented the organization at The White House Cancer Moonshot Summit.
- Welcomed Congress Woman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) as a guest speaker to the TDJBCF Support Group meeting which helps when voting on legislation that affects cancer patients and their families.